An Update to Changes to U.S. Labor and Employment Laws
Tuesday, August 7, 2018
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Canyon View Event Center
Austin Board of REALTORS®
4800 Spicewood Springs Road Austin, Texas 78759 (map)
Free for TSAE Members / $20 Non-Member
CAE Hours: 1
About the Program
Every President brings a new agenda that affects how we manage our workforce. President Trump’s administration has already resulted in significant changes to labor and employment laws.
Are you aware of the changes and proposed changes that may affect your Association? What are the key issues that should be on your radar for the coming year?
During this presentation, labor and employment law attorney Ted Smith will discuss the following:
- Status of proposed changes to Overtime Rules
- New leadership and focus at the Department of Labor (DOL)
- Significant new decisions from the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
- Changes at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- New enforcement actions regarding immigration from ICE and the Department of Justice
- Effects of the #MeToo Movement
- New local paid leave laws
- Additional potential changes on the horizon…
About the Speaker
Ted Smith is Board Certified in Labor and & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has been listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of Labor and Employment Law since 2010, and was recently honored by that publication as the Austin “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Employment Law - Management. In addition, Mr. Smith has been named as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in the field of Labor Law by Texas Monthly magazine since 2003, and selected to the list of "Top Attorneys in Texas.” Cornell Smith Mierl Brutocao Burton, LLP also recently earned the honor of Top Employment Law Firm in the state of Texas among small law firms by that same publication.
Mr. Smith graduated from the University of Notre Dame (B.B.A., cum laude, 1991) and received his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1994. Mr. Smith joined the Austin office of Jenkens & Gilchrist in 2000, where he continued his labor and employment law practice until co-founding the law firm that is now Cornell Smith Mierl Brutocao Burton, L.L.P. in 2003.
Learn @ Lunch is a quick and easy way to get education and networking with little interruption to your work week. Bring your lunch, meet with your peers and learn about some of today's hottest association topics from a speaker or in an idea-sharing setting while you eat. (Includes 1 CAE hour)
- February 20 (TCEA Conference Center)
- March 6 (Austin Board of REALTORS)
- April 24 (Austin Apartment Association)
- May 29 (Austin Apartment Association)
- June 12 (Austin Board of REALTORS)
- August 7 (Austin Board of REALTORS)
- October 16 (Texas Medical Association)
- November 27 (Texas Medical Association)
Transfers/substitutions are welcome prior to the date of the program. Cancelations received in writing at the TSAE office five (5) business days prior to the program will receive a refund – minus a 20% percent handling fee. If you do not cancel or transfer prior to the program date, the entire fee is non-refundable.
TSAE is a CAE Approved Provider. Every program that we offer which qualifies for CAE credit will clearly identify the number of CAE credits granted for full participation, and we will maintain records of your participation in accord with CAE policies.